- 00:40 - Meet Erin Heathers, 2022 NAA award winner for certified apartment portfolio supervisor
- 02:30 - We are WMFHA
- 03:46 - How Erin fell into the multifamily industry
- 06:00 - Bookkeeper (kinda like forensic accountant)
- 07:50 - Erin’s personal journey of growth
- 10:15 - Boss status and leadership
- 13:35 - Being a manager during the pandemic
- 14:45 - Friday morning book club
- 17:35 - How to talk to people
- 22:15 - Erin’s 75 hard challenge
- 28:42 - The value of commitment
For “falling” into the industry, Erin’s passion for the multifamily industry is off the charts! While living in her first apartment community, she was recruited by her manager and launched her career as a combo bookkeeper and leasing consultant. That was years ago, and she hasn’t looked back since!
Since then, Erin has grown to become a committed member of WMFHA, winning personal awards and chapter awards as well. In other words, Erin is a boss! “I don’t really see myself as a boss…I want to be a leader. I want to be part of a team.”
One of her secrets to achieving boss status is focusing on leadership and the harmony of your team. In today’s episode, Erin shares a handful of her best tips on how to manage like a boss:
- Don’t aim for perfection. Work hard and strive for brighter moments.
- Invest in your team. She launched Friday morning book club, an optional meeting where they read through leadership books such as Monday Morning Leadership, Multipliers, and Who Moved My Cheese. “Find people’s innate talents and capitalize upon those skills.”
- Be your best self. “I wanna be a part of the team, but how can I do that when I'm not my best self? Plus, you can’t care for others well if you’re depleted and empty.”
- Follow your passions. “Keep doing what you're passionate about, and don't second guess your passions.”
In our eyes, Erin demonstrates how to manage like a boss! If you’re curious to hear other boss stories like Erin’s, then subscribe to this podcast for more inspiration. And if you enjoyed this episode, please share it with other bosses in your community too!